About Jeanne Fredericks Literary Agency, Inc.
Established in 1997, the Jeanne Fredericks Literary Agency, Inc. represents over 100 authors and over 200 books published by dozens of different publishers.
Almost all of these are adult nonfiction, and though they cover a wide range of subject areas, the Agency’s strongest categories are:
- home/decorative arts
- practical popular reference
For a complete list of represented authors and titles, click here.
Learn more about Jeanne Fredericks.
We seek to represent books that offer fresh, authoritative information and advice needed by sizable audiences and that are written by established experts with media experience and significant followings on social media.
We do not handle: fiction, true crime, juvenile, textbooks, poetry, essays, screenplays, short stories, science fiction, pop culture, guides to computers and software, politics, horror, pornography, books on overly depressing or violent topics, romance, teacher’s manuals, or memoirs.
To our selective list of clients we offer:
- professional advice about refining their book proposals
- targeted submissions of proposals to publishers
- experienced negotiation of publishing contracts
- monitoring of royalty payments
- 1099s and back-up statements summarizing income and expenses
- diplomatic representation of the author’s point of view in disagreements that may occur during the publication process
- a sounding board or source for future book ideas
We have sold foreign rights in many countries sometimes with the help of foreign co-agents and are currently represented by Betty Anne Crawford of Books Crossing Borders who specializes in the sale of foreign rights. Our film co-agent is Stephen Moore of Paul Kohner, Inc.
Our fees are 15% on domestic sales, 20% on direct foreign sales, and 25% on foreign sales made with a co-agent.
We charge no reading fees as per the guidelines of the AAR, of which the Jeanne Fredericks Literary Agency is a member.
Though, we submit almost all submissions electronically, if there are any priority or special delivery costs associated with submission, we generally deduct these expenses from the advance due on signing from the publisher. The author supplies an electronic version of the proposal and sample chapters (and occasionally a hard copy if requested by an editor).
Before you send us a query or proposal, please refer to our Submission Guidelines and How to Write a Successful Nonfiction Book Proposal.
The Jeanne Fredericks Literary Agency, Inc. is striving to go as green as possible by:
- using recycled paper and an environmentally friendly local printing company that uses a waterless process with no chemicals or heavy metals
- evaluating and submitting proposals electronically unless editors specifically request print versions
- recycling all office paper, catalogs, and print cartridges
Books & Authors
Click on a category to see titles and authors.
Search our site using this form:
"I can't possibly recommend Jeanne Fredericks highly enough. I count my lucky stars to have her as my agent. My experience with her has been wonderful. Her communication is incredible and her advice wise. She's very experienced in the publishing world and completely trustworthy. For all future books I write, there's no question that I want Jeanne to represent them. If she offers to represent your book--accept!"
Christine Horner, author of Waking the Warrior Goddess, www.drchristinehorner.com
Independent Publishers Award for Best Health/Nutrition/Medical Book of the Year
Jeanne Fredericks participates as a judge and workshop leader at the Harvard Medical School CME course on nonfiction writing on a yearly basis.